About Our People: Jim Covington
May 5, 1910 – January 30, 1984
A native North Carolinian and a graduate of the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Banking, James “Jim” Covington was initially associated with the Greenwich Savings Bank in New York. In 1941 during World War II, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served in the European theater of operations as a captain in the Field Artillery.
Jim first came to Rome in 1950 to take a management position with the Brighton division of Burlington Mills. Later, in 1954, he decided to enter real estate and joined Adrian Howell & Company as its newest agent. In the years following, he quickly added builder and developer to his resume. Upon becoming one of the owners of the brokerage, its name changed to Adrian Howell & Covington. Some of the residential developments with which Jim will always be associated with include North Hills, Horseleg Estates, Rivermont, Saddle Mountain, Maplewood Square, and Maplewood Park; as well as Fieldwood, where he and his family resided; and Commerce Park and East Gate in commercial real estate.
Following Adrian Howell’s departure around 1970, sales manager C. Max Toles, who had joined the company four years prior, became part owner and the brokerage was officially rebranded as Covington & Toles. About two years later, Jim sold his half of the company to Toles, who then sold that 50% to Brooke Temple. Jim then shifted his focus to Prestige Properties, where he was a partner, until his retirement from real estate.
Throughout his life, he was very active in civic and church work. Professionally, Jim was a member of the Rome Area Chamber of Commerce, Greater Rome Board of REALTORS, and a charter member and past president of the Rome Home Builders Association. He served his church, Rome First United Methodist, as a member of the administrative board and board of trustees. Other community involvement included the Exchange Club of Rome, where he served as president and as a past director of the Coosa Valley Fair Association. Jim also served as chairman of the Rome chapter of the American Red Cross, and as a member of the executive board of the Northwest Georgia Council of the Boy Scouts of America. He was a past president of the Rome Toastmasters Club and past commander of the Rome Power Squadron. Jim was also a member of the Coosa Country Club.